Monday, June 27, 2011

Trigonometry++

I am chiefly working on trigonometry right now, since the lack of a solid grip on this topic made for a lot of trials in single-variable calculus. I think I especially need to get the trig identities down so that they are at my fingertips and I am not scrambling when they are called for.

I have been pretty good about the getting up early. It needs to become a habit. It isn't terribly difficult if I get to bed sufficiently early.

I am also beginning to review the basics of single-variable calculus by reading both How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide (which is actually a very good little book) and Howard Anton's Calculus: A New Horizon (Brief Edition). I am steering clear of Hughes-Hallett since it didn't do a lot for me, to say the least.

Once I have a good handle on the trigonometry I will start going through one of the single-variable texts I have (yeah, I have more than one ...): I'm trying to come up with a rough schedule for the summer so I can hit all the major topics before September 1.

I will also attempt to read ahead to see what multivariable calculus is going to bring. There is no point in not trying to prepare.

All this math reading essentially means that my "pleasure reading," once sprawling, has contracted greatly. This is not really a bad thing: I'm experiencing something of a sense of focus, and that is very pleasant.

No comments: